Excursion South Africa 2002
From the 28th of September to the 14th October of 2002, a field trip to South Africa was organized by the Institute of open pit mining and drilling technology (BBK III). Participants were two scientific assistants as well as ten students under the direction of professor Niemann-Delius. During the trip, the participants had the chance to actively see several different underground and surface mining methods as they are used for the extraction of South Africa’s numerous mineral resources. And of course it was made possible to win an impression of the local culture and nature on several occasions.
The field trip took 17 days during which nine mining operations as well as the Witwatersrand University in Johannesburg, Electra Mining, Pretoria and both the Pilanesberg and Krüger national parks were visited.
Stops on the trip
- Coal open pit Kleinkopje, Witbank
- Coal open pit Douglas, Evander
- University of Witwatersrand and Electra Mining 2002, Johannesburg
- Diamond mine Premier, Cullinan
- Chrome open pit and mine Samancor, Ohrigstad
- Diamond open pit Venetia, Messina
- Platinum open pit Potgietersrust, Potgietersrust
- Iron open pit Thabazimbi, Thabazimbi
- Coal open pit Grootegeluk, Ellisras
- Platinum mine Kroondal and development of platinum open pit Marikana